Qualified Remodeler Magazine

JUN 2018

Qualified Remodeler helps independent remodeling firms to survive, become more professional and more profitable by providing must-have business information, namely best business practices, new product information and timely design ideas.

Issue link: https://qualifiedremodeler.epubxp.com/i/993338

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 23 of 59

it from the island area [into the dining section], but we also gave it a 2 ½-inch false thickness," he says. "What they do with that is basically take a 2 ½-inch strip of that piece of quartz and miter it on the corners and miter the corre- sponding top on the corners, so you can do a 90-degree angle for those. But you have to use the first 2 ½ inches of the slab for that, and they go right into the rest of the slab so that the veining matches perfectly. "It was a real engineering exercise, which was a chal- lenge for us because we're right-brain thinkers," Moran continues. "We don't normally think in those ways, but luckily I was raised by an engineer so I had that in my background." is background also helped with concerns about the weight and design of the waterfall edge. e 6 ½ feet of quartz on the utility portion of the island is supported on one side with a 2-inch frame that is covered with the same veneer to match the cabinetry. While the GreenRose Design team worked with a client-selected fabricator on the project, Moran wanted to ensure the island being top-heavy on a side never became an issue. "My concern was, because of the fact we had a lot of weight at that top—it was top-heavy on that corner espe- cially—let's say somebody bangs into that corner from the side of the table. Are they going to flip that entire thing e 6-inch-wide half-wall between the kitchen and sunken family room, more often than not, served as a junk collector and closed the rooms off from each other, so that was also removed. A space previously occupied by a walled-in closet/pantry became the new location of the refrigerator and a side pantry, which also helped the room's flow. "It pulled the entire kitchen out from the small, basically 10- by 10-foot space it was, to be extended the full length of the dining table/island," Moran explains. Once the clients saw the layout in CAD and SketchUP, they were fully on board with these solutions, he adds. Next up came bringing the approved design to fruition. ENGINEERED FOR LONGEVITY To say that the creation of the kitchen island took plan- ning seems like an understatement in light of its multi- functional usage, not to mention its mere size. "As de- signers, we have people who think, 'Oh, just go in and make it pretty.' at's maybe 25 percent of the way there; the other 75 percent is making sure it's practical, useable, functional and structurally sound," Moran says. Plus, in this case, he called upon a background in engineering. "We had to buy book-matched pieces of quartz so that the veining matched [throughout], and then it was a very intricate layout of each slab because not only did we extend A 12-foot island is the center of the kitchen's activity, whether cooking or entertaining. The veining is matched throughout, even over the two waterfall edges. PROJECTS: Design Solutions 24 June 2018 QR QualifiedRemodeler.com

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Qualified Remodeler Magazine - JUN 2018